In SketchUp, you can import and export STL files, which are used in 3D printing. As explained in 3D Printing a Model, for a SketchUp model to become a successful 3D printout, the model needs to meet certain criteria, such as having a base and a volume and being a solid.
Can you use SketchUp for 3d printing?
Here’s a quick overview of how to set up your SketchUp model for 3D printing: Orient your model so that the 3D printer has a base on which to build your model. Your 3D printer prints your model one layer at a time. If your model juts out at the top, the 3D printer has nothing to build upon.
How do you make an STL file?
To save a model or a model assembly in STL Format:
- File > Save As (Save As dialog box opens)
- From the Save as type drop-down menu select STL (*.stl)
- Click Options.
- The Export Options dialog box will display the file in a tessellated view.
- File Format selection is STL.
What are disadvantages of STL files?
A major disadvantage of an STL file is that it can be very hard to edit outside of simple scaling of the model. Since an STL model only contains an approximation of the original 3D model and not the model itself, it’s often easier to start a model from scratch than to modify an existing STL file.
Is SketchUp still free?
Is SketchUp still free? While there are paid versions of SketchUp, there is also still a free version of SketchUp. Although Trimble has retired development of the free desktop version, called SketchUp Make, you can still download the last version of SketchUp Make 2017 here.
Can you print from SketchUp?
To print your model in Microsoft Windows, you can select File > Print, click OK, and your model prints using the existing settings. … When you need to print a SketchUp model, see whether inserting your model in a LayOut document provides the flexibility and options you need for a top-notch printout.
What program opens STL files?
7 of the best free STL file editors
- MeshLab. MeshLab is a very complete free and open source program to edit your STL files. …
- SketchUp. SketchUp, which used to be called Google SketchUp, is a 3D modeling software that now belongs to the architectural company Trimble Buildings. …
- SculptGL. SculptGL is a free 3D sculpting tool.
What 3d files can SketchUp import?
SketchUp Pro can import the following file formats: . DWG, . DXF, . 3DS, .
Where are STL files?
Top 12 Best Websites to Download Free STL Files
- Cults. Cults is one of the leading websites to download free STL files. …
- Free3D. Free3D is another marketplace that offers a wide range of 3D models. …
- GrabCAD. GrabCAD is one of the largest online libraries of CAD models. …
- MyMiniFactory. …
- Pinshape. …
- STLFinder. …
- SketchFab. …
Can Maya open STL files?
Maya can import models and premade rigs designed for animation. OBJ and STL files can be imported and then further manipulated. Maya can also export OBJ files that you can then convert into STL files to be used for 3D printing.
What does an STL file look like?
STL files describe only the surface geometry of a three-dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes. The STL format specifies both ASCII and binary representations. Binary files are more common, since they are more compact.
How do I use STL files?
Step 1: Open STL file and convert it to solid model
- Open FreeCAD and create a new document by clicking on File > New.
- Click File > Import and select the object you want to modify.
- Change your workbench to Part.
- Select the imported object in the Model window.
- Now click on Part > Create shape from mesh.
Can you 3d print from STL file?
The STL (Standard Triangle Language) is the industry standard file type for 3D Printing. … All modern CAD (Computer Aided Design) software allow you to export their native file format into STL. The 3D model is then converted into machine language (G-code) through a process called “slicing” and is ready to print.
How do I convert STL to Gcode?
Converting STL Files to G-code
- Step 1: Download a conversion tool. …
- Step 2: Import your . …
- Step 3: Repair the mesh. …
- Step 4: Convert your mesh to a shape. …
- Step 5: Convert the shape to a solid. …
- Step 6: Export your solid to a . …
- Step 7: Import your file in to Fusion 360. …
- Step 8: Generate toolpaths.
Can blender open STL files?
Luckily, Blender offers a wide range of file formats (e.g. OBJ, FBX, 3DS, PLY, STL, etc.) that can be used to import and export. Popular formats are enabled by default, other formats are also supported and distributed with Blender, these can be enabled in the User Preferences through the use of Add-ons.